Missing Out
Do you ever feel like you are missing out? I have been feeling like that a lot lately. I know it is bound to happen when you reside in a separate province from family and friends, but lately I have been feeling the sting of it most sharply. Permit me to whine for a moment will you?
It was a quiet Thanksgiving. We missed out. Mom and Dad usually come here for Thanksgiving, but they had a wedding on the weekend and didn’t come. In desperation I even tried to farm myself out to some of the church members, but they were busy with their own family stuff. I did get some looks of pity though. That was…nice. I was so desperate for turkey and stuffing we went to the local buffet restaurant just to get some. We pretended it wasn’t as pathetic as it sounds. Sigh
On Tuesday, I phoned home to talk to my sister who was out for the weekend. They were all there (Mom and Dad, both my beloved sisters, and my dear nieces and nephews.) I was missing out. (Oh ya, the husbands were there too. They usually get overshadowed by the sisterly bonding and the antics of the children). And I was in Saskatchewan. Missing out. Again.
And then there is today. The big one. The event of the year. The Grand Poobah of all things to miss. As I write, my mom and my sisters are on a plane flying to the USA for a Women of Faith conference. The very conference that my sister and I have been planning and dreaming and scheming for almost a year now. The one with all details carefully and happily planned…from the conference to the hotel, to the shopping at Mall of America, to the…sniff, visit to…*catch in my voice*…IKEA. But I am missing out. I think I may have to stick my head in a blender.
We had no idea. We had no idea when we started planning this, that I would be 5 months pregnant. How was I to know? There was no way to predict this. And there was no way I could predict the extreme exhaustion I would feel, and how this baby would suck the very life out of me. (There is a reason they don’t advise children after 35.) There was no way I could predict the horrible, debilitating backaches. There was no way I could sit for 2 days straight, unless somehow I could smuggle in a lazy boy and a couple of pillows. Basically I knew when the Doctor frowned on the whole idea, and informed me I would have to wear compression stockings to prevent the blood clots that run rampant in my family, that the idea was dead in the water for me.
So I am missing out. And this time it really cuts deep. And I don’t mind saying, I'm feeling quite despondent about the whole thing.
But then…I’m not missing out on everything. I get to have a baby. And I get to feel this little one squirm around. I get to dream dreams for him or make plans for her. I get to think of names and nursery colors. Somehow that sweetens the whole sourness of this day. Well, that and chocolate. Trust me, just because I can see the bigger picture, does not mean I’m not wallowing in a grieving hole of chocolate filled sorrow. That is something else I am definitely not missing out on.
4 comments:
You are an amazing woman of faith! So glad you are more than half way through the pregnancy and that soon the answer to these present disappointments will be in your arms. Continuing to pray for good health for you and the baby. Once that dear one is born the out of province family members will take every opportunity to come visit you, and your home will probably be the hub of family gatherings for quite some time. Bless you!
Sue B.
Have you felt the baby move yet?
Charlotte
No kicking yet, but I do feel the flutters. There's definately something happening in there...
I definately have felt like I've missed out. Missed out on wearing something cute to my brother's wedding cause I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Yes I love looking back on those photos! I miss out on shopping for fun whenever I feel like it. I miss time to myself to scrapbook without sticky fingers interferring. I miss leaving the house with only my wallet - now I have a two year old in tow and a diaper bag full of supplies. Fortunately I've gained so much more. The smile on Dillon's face when he comes running to meet me when we've been apart, the giggles he gets when we do something silly, the sloppy kisses and sweet hugs, the excitement he shows in the simpliest things. You do miss out...but you gain SO much more!
Post a Comment