October 14, 2008

The Angst of Awareness - Politically Speaking

I used to be so blissfully unaware. There I was, happily going about my daily life, not giving politics a second thought. And then I married Harv, and got all educated. It sucks really. Now I find myself yelling at the TV, stressing about why people are so stupid in their thinking, and wondering what I could possibly do to get the world to vote my way. Sigh. It’s sad really. I fear this election may just send me right into early labor, and we really don’t want that. I even tried using the baby as a bargaining chip. I told Harv to tell his parents that if they continued to vote liberal we would be forced to restrict grandparent visitation privileges. He didn’t really go for that idea. In fact I think I may have received a “what kind of mother are you” sort of look…but that could have been my imagination.

So in a couple of hours I will head to the voting stations and cast my vote. And it will be Conservative. And not just because Stephen looks so great in a sweater vest. I will vote this way because he has proven himself to keep his promises. And frankly, I like him. And I like not paying that 1% of GST. And I like the fact that he is going to send me money every month to help pay for this baby of ours. What a nice guy. Way to go Stephen. I could also go into great detail as to why I am voting this way, and NOT voting for the others, but Harv has forbid me from getting into any more political arguments. Apparently my angst is not good for the baby.

So off you go everyone…do your duty…vote your hearts out. Unless you are not voting my way, then feel free to stay home. Heh heh. Just kidding. Sort of. And in the meantime, for the rest of the day, I will be here, thinking calming thoughts and breathing deep cleansing breath for the sake of my unborn child who is happily as I once was…blissfully unaware. Oh if only I could go back.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Thanks for the chuckle Shirley. I read your post to Devin and he also got a laugh or two out of it. Way to vote THE RIGHT WAY. You got a thing for sweater vests?

Shirley said...

Well Sonya, you know how deep my love and loyalty goes if I can love you in a sweater vest! :)