April 22, 2008

Bye Bye You Big Lug...

Today is a good day.

It is the day that I have been waiting for. If any of you know anything about renovations, or share my addiction to Home and Garden Television, then you will know that a major revamp takes a major amount of time. It always takes longer than you think. This has been a hard pill for me to swallow, as I am a “finish it all until perfection or don’t do it at all” sort of girl. I have been known to stay up until the wee hours of the morning tweaking things in my house to get them just as I want them. My dream would be to have a complete overhaul in my kitchen, transforming cupboards to baseboards, appliances to tea towels in the span of a single weekend. But this is not the case in my kitchen. Because I do not live in the magical world of HGTV I cannot fast forward all the steps it takes to get to the big reveal. It is a slow, piece by piece process.

Over a month ago I mentioned that we were getting a new countertop installed. Believe it or not, it is only today that the dreaded “oopps” is being fixed. It has been a test of my patience, as I have lovingly wiped only half a new counter.

Through the month I have had time to think. Something strange happens when you are mid project and have a contractor on the payroll. (*note: ok, he is not actually a contractor, but rather just a guy we found behind the counter at the lumber store…but we LOVE him. And I am calling him a contractor so that he can dream big…) The strange thing is that you begin to dream all sorts of funny dreams…dreams of “I could do this.” or “Maybe we could do that.” and “Since we have to do this, we might as well do that.” All of a sudden we have gone from a simple counter top to moving cupboards and putting up backsplashes and the Grand Poobah of all my big dreams…installing our portable dishwasher.

And thus brings me to my good day. Though I love my dishwasher, it has led me to understand fully the expression that every rose has a thorn, as every other day I lug that bad boy across my floor to hook up water and electrical for it to do its job. And when I say lug, I mean LUG. It is an unattractive sort of grunting shimmy that takes place as I push and shove this beastly contraption into place. So as I write, I hear the soothing sounds of hammers and saws lulling me with their sweet whisper of “Girl, you have lugged your last.” It is a beautiful thing. No more little dance of shove and shake. No more hooking up water and cord. No more being unable to use the sink while the dishwasher is washing. Seriously, this is what kitchen utopia must feel like. Throw in a garberator and I would think I have died and gone to heaven…

Or maybe just think it’s a really, really good day.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Can't wait to see the results.

Anonymous said...

....does it always take longer than expected?--tell me it isn't so!I'm sure the results were well worth waiting for---enjoy!