March 08, 2008

The Joyful Anxiety of Kitchen Renovations

There’s a lot of excitement happening in our household today. It’s a nervous excitement. The kind that makes your stomach all flippy, and you are not sure whether you want to do a dance of joy, or head to the bathroom and throw up. As I write, we are getting a new kitchen countertop installed. After a month of second guessing myself and my choice, it is finally here. And it is looking good. It was a good choice. I am so relieved.

We did have a little glitch a moment ago when I heard the dreaded words “Um….we have a problem.” They measured one of the pieces wrong, and now I will only have HALF a new countertop until next week. DRAT. So I guess the dance of joy will be postponed for a few more days. Sigh.

Our old countertop is sitting forlornly in the snow after being unceremoniously dumped without feeling or remorse. I commented to Harv that it looked even uglier in the sunlight than it did in the house. Oh how quickly our loyalties can change. Out with the old and in with the new. They are also putting in a shiny new sink and faucet. It is a good day. Glitch and all, it is a good day. I think to celebrate, I will stay home tonight and just wipe my new counter. Good times.

No comments: