May 12, 2008

A Momentary Leaving of the Leaves

I’m taking a leaf break. I am learning to live in balance, and so I am on a leaf break. I picked up this fridge magnet in Victoria that simply states “Live in Balance”. And seeing as how I do not have a balanced bone in my body, I have decided to start with a leaf break.

Baby steps.

I am very extreme. I do not do things half way. It’s either all the way, or not at all. I will clean the house, the closets, the nooks and crannies until it glistens like a castle of grandeur; or I will live in squalor, covered in my own filth and clutter. Ok it’s not quite that bad, but almost. I will blog like crazy, or not post for almost a month. I will be the best pastor’s wife that anyone has ever seen, visiting everyone and volunteering for everything, or I will not leave the house for two weeks. I am all or nothing. I do it all or not at all. Unfortunately, it usually happens that “not at all” wins out. This can leave one feeling quite unaccomplished in their life. (But that is another subject entirely and seeing I don’t have time to get into it in its entirety…I will not say anything about it at all. You see…I can’t help myself.)

I’m not sure how I became this way - this extreme version of myself. To be honest, I don’t really like it. It has gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion. So the magnet is good for me - Live in Balance. Harv reminds me of it on a daily basis. I asked him yesterday if he had known this about me before we got married, would he still have walked down the aisle? He said of coarse he would. But then he added with a smirk that he just would have gotten me into therapy before the wedding to have a head start. HaHa.

And so, the leaf break. In the case of my unbalanced leaf history, I will normally rake the entire yard – all 180 feet of it in one time frame, or I will not touch it. But not today. Today I am living in balance. Today I am raking for 20 minute time periods. And I may even have to leave some of it for tomorrow. I feel so liberated. Like I am growing. Changing. Becoming normal. Becoming balanced. And it's all because of a leaf break. And in an effort to continue that balance, I will not make it a leaf ending. I will now leave the leaving of the leaves and get back out there.

14 comments:

Becky said...

Pickles make a good snack. I like them.

Becky said...

Sammy has all kinds of lint in and on his toes from his new dark grey socks. He looks like he has hairy feet.

Becky said...

I'm ripping that CD you lent me right at this very moment. Is it cocky of me to say I think I can make that song sound nicer than Sandy Patti did? (I don't like how she sings it AT ALL.)

Becky said...

I had a nice time tonight.

Becky said...

Tomorrow I am going to move the three rose bushes from my front yard to the back yard. I might kill them, but Glen and I are both tired of mowing around them. Que Sara Sara.

Becky said...

I'm not sure I spelt "Que Sara Sara" right. I'm going to google it and then be right back.

Becky said...

Nope. I didn't. It's Que Sera Sera.

Becky said...

It would be bad if I had nachos for lunch tomorrow right?

Becky said...

Wow. This post sure generated a lot of comments. I've always found that a sure sign of a GREAT post is the number of comments it generates.

Becky said...

Heh heh.

Becky said...

Heh heh heh.

Shirley said...

hahahahahahahaha


ha

Becky said...

This means it's time for a new post right?

Becky said...

(I did have nachos for lunch today, by the way. And pizza from Family Pizza for supper.)