February 03, 2007

Toxic Mix of Disinfectant and Herbal Tea Cause Household Implosion. News at 11:00

These are desperate times. Here I am, up in the middle of the night (it is amazing how 6:43 A.M. can feel like the middle of the night to me) performing the ultimate act of desperation – herbal tea. I don’t do tea. I don’t do any of the hot drinks, with the exception of the occasional hot chocolate. This often leaves a hostess pondering what to do with me as they offer – coffee or tea? And I look at them with chagrin and think – got anything else back there? How ‘bout a banana smoothie? No, I’ve never been much of a social drinker. Though the other day I was holding Harv’s coffee for him, and I realized, that I don’t think it is so much of the drink that appeals to you people, but rather that feeling of holding a cup of something hot and steamy. It is amazing how I all of a sudden felt like such an adult. I think next time I’m at a function, I will ask for a cup of hot water to hold. And maybe I’ll ask for it in a Tim Horton’s cup - the ultimate act of social coolness.

Anyways, but I digress. Where was I? Oh yes…middle of the night, hot tea… and a raging sore throat. RAGING. It has been quite a week. First I had the flu – complete with projectile vomiting, cold sweats and projectile…well…I’ll let you figure that out. It wasn’t pretty people. Then as I was getting over it, Harv got it. Seriously…this has become the house of death. You can just sense the infestation of germs and disease hovering in the air. I think that I am going to have to hose the house down with disinfectant if we make it through this. And now, I’ve got this ding dang sore throat. I think that Harv and I are just breeding germs. I think we have officially become the germ headquarters for the city of Yorkton. The other night I woke up and we were sleeping face to face, about a foot from each other, just breathing each other’s air and recycling germs. I thought to myself… “Well this can’t be good”. But isn’t it nice how we like to share?

Well, what more is there to say about this? It’s all just a desperate plea for sympathy and maybe some more chicken noodle soup from my mother. And you all know how good I am with the sickness and in health side of my marriage vows. Yes…good times here in our household. Good times.

Hey – this tea isn’t half bad. Maybe I have been missing out. If I discover a new love for tea, will I think that this flu pandemic has been worth it all? Somehow I don’t think so. Ok, must go. If I’m up and miserable anyways, I might as well start the disinfecting process. But first I am going to hold this steamy cup of tea a little longer and revel in feeling like a grown up. A sick grown up…but a grown up none the less.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I like tea. I hate coffee. Never drink the stuff. My new thing is Chai Tea. With a little milk and Splenda...it's like dessert in a cup. At least I think so anyways.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shirley - I'm there with you! Don't do the coffee thing, not really into "real" tea either. But when I was pregnant and had a cold month after month and couldn't take anything I tried some lemon tea - is was so good!! But after much searching the ultimate tea is Summer Berry. Try it! Kinda smells like potpourri, but tastes so much better!

Anonymous said...

The other day I came across the idea of mixing manderin( or was that Tangerine) Orange Zinger tea with hot apple juice--try that for a new "hot drink" Sympathy to Harv as he battles the flu. take care of each other,you two!

Shirley said...

The tea I tried was Hazelnut Vanilla, and it wasn't half bad. Not amazing. Not a chocolate milkshake - but not half bad. Maybe that will be my new mission...to discover "my" tea flavor.

Oooohhh I feel such purpose.

Becky said...

I got a kind of weird look, you know the kind, after dinner out the other night when I turned down coffee and tried to turn down tea. I took some in the end to make my hostess happy.

Generally, I like tea though. Especially when I have a sore throat.

Shirley said...

I get those looks alot. The confused - "you want NEITHER?" look, and the paniced "but that is all I have to serve" look, and then there is the "I am so sorry that all you are drinking is water" look. They have no idea how much I love water.

Shirley said...

Some hot drink fairy just left me a container of hot chocolate on my doorstep to help me feel better. Someone obviously knows me well. It's like she JUST KNEW my aversion to "typical" hot drinks.

Thanks Becky. You are a great friend. And I know that, because you knew my coffee aversion before you even read this post.