Oh Dear...It's Starting...
So it begins. It is only 4:30 and it has already started. The kids, the marching, the costumes, the begging for free candy - they are like a little army. I have a confession to make. I know that it may get me blackballed in the blogging kingdom, but I am boycotting Halloween. I don’t like Halloween. Besides the obvious spiritual reasons, there is more to it than just that. I just have a problem with the demanding of free candy. I mean really. What makes it ok for kids (and not just kids) to march around, knocking on doors, demanding that I give them candy, or else they will threaten me with some sort of “trick”, like toilet papering, or egg smearing? And now a days, it is not just kids…it is teenagers and older. And some of them are not even wearing costumes. They are just standing there with a plastic bag and a sour expression. I just can’t do it! What if I really just can’t do it? What if I don’t have any candy? What if I have a candy addiction, and any trace of it in the house will send me over the edge in a sugar free fall? Last year we hardly had any kids, and so we ended up eating mini chocolate bars for weeks. That’s just not good people!!
Y’know, I didn’t even like this when I was a kid. Oh, don’t get me wrong…I was all for the candy. But even when I won best costume in elementary school for the rockin’ princess costume that my mom made me, with the amazing twirly purple skirt and the cone hat with the flowy scarf (which incidentally I NEVER wanted to take off), there was something sort of icky feeling about knocking on doors and groveling for candy. I don’t know why, but I didn’t like it. We mostly went to relatives, and I still felt funny. I always wished that I could send someone to the door for me.
OK…now don’t you all start planning to toilet paper my house. I know, it’s for the kids. Believe me, when Becky brings her two little cutie patooties over at a pre-arranged time, we will be greeting them and giving them some sort of treat, and I can’t wait. You just can’t resist Ben in a dinosaur costume giving a little roar. I’m all game for that. But as far as everyone else…I am boycotting.
We did consider it. We went to Wal-Mart and looked at the candy. But it was so much money, that we decided to buy fruit and veggies instead. We thought that we should have something in our house to eat for the week. So we are boycotting. We are lighting candles and turning out the lights and cuddling in the dark with the 2 free movies I picked up today from Blockbuster. I am actually quite excited about the whole evening. It’s kind of pathetic that we have to be hiding in our own house, but it makes it kind of sneaky and exciting all at the same time! So I wish for you all a good evening, whatever you decide to do, and may we all be free from the tyranny of candy pressure with veiled threats of omelet soup on our front windows!! I have to go now. I need to crawl over to the window on my belly, and try to close the curtains without being spotted by the army!!
8 comments:
Well I like it.
And THAT'S OK!! :)
Delete this post....now. or else.
I'm not kidding.
Ha Ha! Are you rounding up the toilet paper?
http://www.netdisaster.com/go.php?mode=eggs&url=http://anotherdayof.blogspot.com/
I think it's perfectly fine that you don't like Halloween.
I'm not overly fond of it either. It's not my favourite holiday.
I'm even going to confess that I felt kinda funny bringing Noah door-to-door. What am I really teaching my child here? That it's okay to go to stranger's houses and beg for candy.
I'd rather just bring him to family and friends and show off how cute he is. Better than exposing his cuteness to strangers.
We've always boycotted Halloween since we had children. But they have always had fun with friends, lots of candy and they dressed up if they wanted to. Last night they each had friends over and ate too much candy along with chips and pizza bagels.
I see Halloween totally different. I never thought it was ok any other day of the year to beg from strangers. It's Halloween. That's what it's about. What about having a day where kids can be taken around town by their parents and have a little fun. What about community bonding together to bring some joy into some kids lives? some of these kids maybe this will be the only time and adult will ever give them something out of the spirit of being fun and playfull. How about when you walk down the street with your kids you get to know your neighbours and they get to know you. Maybe the next time someone bangs up a car on the side of the road your kindly neighbour might see it and since you made friends they might actually care a little more and say something. Its not about shamefully begging from strangers, its about fun only ONE DAY A YEAR. I never just walked around thinking it was ok to beg cause I got to do it in a costume on Halloween. And those teenagers, yeah maybe they are being dumb but they are just trying to have a little fun. And so what, just give them a little candy. Big deal. Maybe they would walk away from your house saying....wow that lady was really nice. Maybe next time they are out partying and drinking instead of trick or treating. What other time of the year does something encourage taking your kids out at night and letting them feel safe and actually going for a walk in your neibourhood and getting to know some people? When is it ok for adults to get dressed up and feel a little young again? I looooooovvvvvvveeeeee Halloween. Who doesn't have fun seeing some cute kids come to your door all dressed up? Its awesome. I love it. That is all. Now all this typing has distracted me and I burnt my bagel.
Post a Comment