Keeping the Home Fires Burning
Glorious, glorious, what a glorious day. I am having a do-as-I-please sort of day. There are no appointments, and no errands to be run and no coffee dates. Harv is going to a hockey game this evening, and so the glory continues. I have been resisting my natural impulses to fill this day with the 800 things on my “to do” list, in the manner of unrealistic dreaming that I usually partake in. Can you believe that I have made NO LIST? That is so unlike me. But it is good. I am puttering around cleaning my house, there is a pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove, and finally, FINALLY, I am taking the time to organize my office. This is something I have wanted to do for so long, and nothing is going to deter me from this goal. It would take a fire, flood, or some sort of other natural disaster to get me out of this house today. Seriously... house would have to burn down around my feet before I left it.
I think that I take after my mother. My mom was always very content to have home days. I for one love it. I have been trying in the last year to be more purposeful in slowing down, and not filling every single day, and every single evening. When we first started pastoring I felt guilty if I was ever home for an evening. There were always people that we “should” be visiting. I don’t know how long anyone can last at that driven pace. There is always something knocking on the door trying to steal away our time, our rest and our solitude, or our home time. I am trying to not answer that door quite so frequently. This is not easy…especially when you are in the occupation that Harv and I have chosen. But I can see over the last year as I have been working on this, that I am more at peace, and well let’s face it, I’m not so snarly on the days or nights that we do have to go out.
Life will always find things for us to do. There will always be urgencies to attend to. Really, I don’t think that God intended us to live the kind of chicken-with-our-head-cut-off sort of existence. I think that He desires for us to find a balance. That is what I am trying to find. I think that it's going to take a whole lifetime of learning to finally come up with a proper balance between racing and rest. I hope that someday I will discover it, but for today, I am setting it all aside and am having a home day. I am loving it, and nothing is going to take me away from it.
By the way, is it wrong if I smell smoke but choose to ignore it?
1 comment:
Check out your blog. You're back at it. Yeah! Looks beautiful.
Thanks for visiting my blog again.
Hope to read your thoughts more often.
Enjoy November!!
Post a Comment