What's Eating You?
I’m stressed out. I am a stressed out mom. That’s what I am. It’s not because of the things I am doing. I love what I am doing. I love story time and cuddles on the chair. I love tickling Sam and hearing that little laugh. I love rocking him to sleep at night and singing him little songs that make him coo. I love so much about our days together.
I love what I am doing. It’s what I am NOT doing that causes me stress. It’s worrying about whether or not I am helping that little brain develop in the way that it should. (Or at least the way the parenting magazines say that it should.) Last night Harv said to Sam. “Daddy has a blue shirt, and Sammy has a blue shirt.” Instead of finding that little father/son moment endearing, I panicked. I have been so busy teaching Sam what sound a sheep makes that we haven’t even touched on colors yet!! Stress.
I’ve been trying to read a lot to get my mind around how to feed my little guy. We did so well in his first 6 months when all was required was a bottle. Now it is getting tricky. I read last night that by 7 months, babies should be eating meats and pasta and finger foods, and cut up slices of bread. I am completely behind. Sam is almost 8 months and is still on baby cereals and pureed mixes of sweet potatoes, and other vegetables. I don’t know why this stresses me out so much. It’s not like Sammy is going to graduate and go out to celebrate with a big tub of mashed up butternut squash.
But it’s not just that. It’s everything. I just want to be a good mom. You know…do the best that I can do for him. I don’t want him to be behind because I don’t have one hot clue as to what I am doing. I don’t want to “wreck him”. I don’t want him to have to spend thousands of dollars in therapy when he grows up because he has “Mommy issues”. Stress. All this worrying because I haven’t fed my baby chicken. But sometimes it’s not so much about what you are eating as what’s eating you.
6 comments:
Look at you, you blog posting machine! :)
I don't think you could mess Sam up if you tried. What he mostly needs right now is love - and you've got that down pat. I used to read the magazines and stress too. But kinda came to the conclustion that he's my kid and when I feel he's ready to move to the next step we will. No one else needs to tell me when/how to do things. They're not here dealing with the ins and outs of his day, I am.
And unless he's still only being bottle fed at Kindergarten I don't think you have anything to worry about.
But worrying is what mother's do. Trust me - I have my own issues I worry about.
Oh good heavens. Call me.
Thanks Sonya. That makes me feel a bit better. :)
Oh Shirley...do not borrow trouble from tomorrow for tomorrow will take care of it's self. Your Sammy is doing just fine. You are the best mommy for him and I don't know any other 8 month old who knows his colors! I'm sure that he is learning all sorts of things about life from you just by you reading books to him and spending time together. Don't stress out about it - save that for your potty training days (right Sonya? :))
Charlotte
Ugh! Potty training!! Maybe it's ok if Sam still has a bottle in Kindergarten - after all, I'm sure Dillon will still be filling his pants then. :(
Oh dear Sonya...what a little stinker (pardon the pun).
I think you guys should all move to Gimli to start a little Mom's support group. (I was going to say a "Shirley's support group" but that sounded a little self centered. heh heh)
Post a Comment