January 24, 2008

Yeah...What She Said

This week we were once again at the Nursing Home doing a hymn sing for the seniors. At the risk of totally mortifying my beloved Grandma I must confess…I hate mornings at the Nursing Home. I think I have said it before, but it is probably my worst part of church life. It’s not that I don’t like the seniors. I really do. I’m not sure what it is exactly. Maybe it is because I don’t enjoy hymns. Well…I do enjoy hymns. Maybe it is because I don’t enjoy so many hymns. We sing in 3 different wings, and I don’t enjoy singing hymns for over an hour. Hymn after hymn, verse after verse after verse in screeching high pitches is not my idea of a good time.

Tuesday morning I went with a particularly good attitude. *Sense the sarcasm here people. I was carrying on an inner dialogue of grumbling and kvetching, all the while belting out never ending stanzas of Blessed Assurance and My Hope is Built. No, it was not my finest hour. All of a sudden, in the midst of my brooding and watch glancing there was this absolute holler... “GET ME OUT OF HERE!!” I slapped my hand over my mouth in horror. Did I say that out loud? How could I do that? What would Grandma think?

But no, it wasn’t me. It was my soul sister senior in the front row, who apparently wanted to be there as much as I did. Sigh. I can’t wait until I am a senior and can say what I am thinking as loudly as I want and no one even bats an eye. Well, no one except for me, who was holding back laughter, and fighting back the urge to high five her in front of the whole room.

For some reason I went to the next wing with a self satisfied skip in my step. Somehow I was feeling a little lighter. Like my words had been spoken, and I didn't even get in trouble with the pastor.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I wish I could go for you. I would probably really enjoy it.

How about you watch Ben and Sam for me and I'll go to the nursing home?

Sandra Knight said...

i agree with becky. let those who have the gifts, enjoy giving them. and if you have little ones, bring them to the nursing home, i have been known to force my kids to give the gifts with me!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Shirley:
I Absolutely LOVE your honesty!! I love reading about you little adventures, or in this case mis-adventure. I would have loved to have been there. I don't know however, if I would have been able to restrain myself from giving the lady a high-five, however. Good for you girl! Keep blogging ... I love reading your words, you always bless my day!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your experience with the lady who wanted out! Last time we did a nursing home service my husband had just started to preach when from behind the piano a lady suddenly burst into "There's No Business Like Show Business". My husband didn't know how to take that but it was hysterical!

Shari said...

That's funny. Why do you have to go to the hymn sing? Aren't there enough people who want to do it? I think you got to serve Jesus where your interests lie. It's much more enjoyable. Today, I got an email from our church secretary. She was asking for volunteers to come help with a children's snow play day. I shook my head, deleted that email and said - Nope, I don't do snow.

Shirley said...

Sigh...I have to go because my husband is the pastor, and he doesn't want to sing 8 verses of Take My Life and Let it Be all alone. So he cons me into it. Ha Ha...guess I won't delete my husband like you deleted the email... :)

By the way, Sue...I would have LOVED to be there to witness that "No Business like Show Business" moment!!