November 26, 2007

Goodbye, Sweet Girl of my Youth

Today I say goodbye to my youth. That is what it feels like. Some would say I said goodbye to those days long ago. Others would shake their heads and say that I was still young. I guess it’s all how you look at it. Today I turn 35. I am not happy about it. Up until now I have still been getting away with “early thirties”. In fact, I must confess, that someone said I was 33 at the beginning of this year, and I didn’t bother to correct them. Frankly, it sounded so good that I told myself I was 33 for the entire rest of the year. That husband of mine kept correcting me. Being married to the pastor sure keeps you honest. Blasted.

Anyway, today I’m 35. MID thirties (*shudder). HALF-WAY to SEVENTY!! It’s all a little much to take. I confess…I shed tears. Seriously. So yes, I’ve moped around a little. I’ve bemoaned all my woes of being 35 with no children and no career. I’ve cried on my husband’s shoulder. I talked it all out with my sister. I’ve cuddled the cat.

BUT…I have decided to cheer myself up. I am, as we speak baking myself a cake, for the party that I am throwing for myself tonight. I am meeting my favorite Yorkton people at my favorite Yorkton place (BP’s) and we are going to hoop it up. I might even break out the good lip gloss for the occasion. And, on top of that, I am about to bring out all my Christmas decorations, because that never fails to put me in a good mood.

I am putting up a brave front, and I am determined to have a good day. I will worry about the rest of my life later. For today, there will be cake, and there will be sparkle, and I will show that sweet girl of my youth that we mid-thirty types know how to party as well.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I remember when I hit that milestone...I didn't like it either...didn't get up in the morning and go "Yay, I am thirty five today" Come to think of it, I haven't cheered my age at any of my birthdays past 25. Seemed the perfect age at the time. I would certainly settle for 35 now! Sometimes I secretly wish I was old enough for the seniors menu. I wonder if they I.D. you for that? Hope you had a nice Birthday anyway.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!! However bitter-sweet it may be, I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

i want to email you but I don't know your email.
dang it.

Anonymous said...

found your email. heh heh