June 25, 2007

Tornado Watch

I don’t know if it’s the Monday thing, or if it’s the tiredness, or if it’s just the (sorry guys) PMS of it all, but (and here is where I would interject a good German word if I knew one) yeesh I am a grouch today. I am not my usual charming self, which is causing me to do some unusual, less-than-charming things. This has been felt all around town, as the poor citizens of Yorkton have been battling “Hurricane Shirley”. Victims included the dental hygienist who informed me that they would have to redo a botched filling job from my last appointment. This of coarse was just before she pulled out her little tiny steel dental blade of torture and proceeded to cut up my gums in the name of a hygienic check-up.

Also affected in the form of “inner mind torture” was the parishioner who continually calls Harv on his day off without fail –EVER…every single Monday (are you getting my point here?), calling to his attention all forms of subject matter which most certainly could wait until Tuesday. Oh, and lets not forget the poor Wal-Mart cashier who received a steely look of death so cold that she immediately disembarked on the chatty discussion she paused to have with her co-worker to resume serving us with an apology and quickened service.

My poor husband, bless his heart, looked at me in confusion and asked gingerly, “Um…are you feeling a little…um…blue today sweetie?” Well worded I must say. I don’t think he wanted to anger the beast. Sigh.

As Lloyd Robertson would say… “And THAT’s the kind of day it’s been on this Monday, June 25th."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Shirley: as fellow pastors with the Mondays off Syndrome we have call display and message manager (answering machine works just as well) and unless it is family or someone fun we do not answer our phones on Mondays. If you have these services all ready don't be afraid to use them or feel too guilty to use them. You guys absolutely have to have a day off...a true day off and day away from the church people. Burnout in someone so young is most horrible and you and Harv do not need to reach that point....burnout does not honour the God who gave us the principle and practise of true Sabbath Rest. Just some advice from someone older and NOW wiser after learning the hard way in times past. I don't want to sound like some pushy stranger but Sabbath rest can really sustain and improve your ministry because it provides the time away you need for yourselves and your marriage. Even Jesus went out on the lake in the little boat, (with the needy crowds on the shore watching and wondering why he was leaving them), to refresh and go back to ministry fully ready. God bless you and give you some rest and fun,
Sue B.

Shirley said...

Sue, you don't feel like a stranger anymore, so advise away! :)

Thanks for sharing from the perspective of someone who has (and is)going through the same things!

Anonymous said...

"Let me hold you!!!"

Shirley said...

Ahhh D...you know "I love you more than my luggage..."