April 27, 2007

Making My Dreams a Reality

Last night we had our first planning meeting for our church camp retreat, happening in June. Hammering out some of the details just got me so excited. I am hoping this will be a time of bonding and renewal for the church. I have been dreaming of doing this since we started here, and after 4 years of talking about it, it will finally happen. I can’t think of a better way for a church family to really get to know each other.

This retreat makes me think of the church retreat that I was a part of with my Winnipeg church years ago. It was an excellent time of fellowship. Unfortunately for me, the one that I really wanted to fellowship with had just broken up with me a month earlier. And yet, in all the heartache, there I was, still leading worship with this guitar playing blond drink-of-water who could warm me down to my toes with just a certain smile. Yes, it was a gut-wrenching weekend. But that was only because we were fooling ourselves to think that we could live without each other. Good thing we rectified the situation the following summer with the wedding of the century.

Anyway…but I digress.

The retreat is happening, and that feels good. It feels good when things happen. One thing that I have learned about myself since being here in Yorkton is that I am a great visionary. I have ideas and dreams flowing forth like milk and honey in the Promised Land. The thing that I don’t have is follow-through. I am a little weak in the implementation. This has gotten me in trouble more times than I care to count. Is it any wonder why I have a room full of hopes and dreams in the form of craft supplies, and few finished products? I have ideas, but I can’t seem to make them happen. This moment of self discovery and clarification has really been quite freeing. I do wish I would have learned this about myself years ago. It would have cut back on many moments of brow beating and inner berating. I also would have saved a bundle on “project supplies”. I am embracing my weaknesses. I have learned that I need a helping hand. I can dream, and in my delusional state, I can scurry around, trying to accomplish things all on my own, but in reality…I need others. I need a team. Enter Harv. Enter family. Enter church friends. Last night was so great. I was zinging out ideas like baseballs in the outfield. And along came the team to help with implementation. This is the beauty of working together. I am so thankful that God gives us people to fill each others gaps. When we work together, we accomplish so much more.

Now that I have come to terms with my shortcomings, I think that I need to add a housekeeper to the “life team”. Someone who could come and implement some floor washing and laundry folding perhaps?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Visionary,

Getting a housekeeper is a great idea! But...you would have to follow through with finding one. And if you succeeded in finding a "team" to connect you with one, you would find yourself with the problem of keeping one. (You did mention in the raking story that you are a perfectionist...and that could prove to be problematic when it comes to staff retention. Are you SURE you are a perfectionist??)

Shirley said...

Yes, can someone with such an "unperfect" house qualify as a perfectionist? I'll bet Martha Stewart never struggles with dust bunnies.