February 17, 2007

The Latest Fad...Is it a Crock?

I don't think of myself as one who follows the fads. I've never been particularly moved by the latest styles, or the newest thing. Oh sure, there was that time in grade 8 when my friend Gloria tried to move me into modern style by dressing me up in her ever-so-hot floppy pink sweater, leggings, slouch socks, and full length pearls. I remember walking into church choir practice feeling on top of the fashion world. I was hot. H.O.T. And who could forget the Grand Beach “clam digger” faze, and that unfortunate grade 7 hair “feathering” fiasco? But other than a few misguided attempts in what’s hot and what’s not, I have pretty much done my own thing. But that being said…I am all for a good thing. Becky and I were discussing last night that I am a bandwagon girl. If it’s fun, and if it’s a good thing…more often than not, I will jump on the bandwagon. Mind you, often that bandwagon is about a year behind, but I will still be on it. A good example of this would be this blog. I am totally on the blogging bandwagon. I love it, and it makes me happy. And though it seems like having a personal Internet space, or blog, was all the rage for a long time, it took me a while before I was ready for one of my own.

Last week I was visiting a foot doctor, and we were discussing my obsession with wearing slippers 24 hours a day…winter or summer. She suggested to me that there were things to wear that would give better arch support, and make me feel better from head to toe. So I asked her about Crocks, and she suggested I give them a try. I had heard about crocks last summer, when all the kids in my youth group were wearing then, and apparently anyone who was anyone had them as well. I just thought they had a ridiculous name, they looked rather funny, and what on earth was the big deal about rubber shoes? Sheesh.

Well I did it. In the name of good arch support, I got them. It’s not about fashion…it’s about the health and wealth of my feet and knees. I felt a little silly buying them, and I’m sure the pre-teen girl at the counter was laughing behind that polite smile, and knowing look, but I did it. Tonight as I skeptically put them on my slipper-less feet, I thought, “Wow, there are really comfortable.” After a while I thought, “Man, these things are great.” And after an even longer while I thought, “Wow, my feet look freakin’ fantastic in these ultra cool shoes. I am so hip.” And before I knew it I was back in junior high, walking into choir practice with my slouchy socks, swinging pearls, and sporting a ‘tude the likes no runway model had ever seen. Now this is one bandwagon worth jumping on with both feet.


11 comments:

Becky said...

You go girl.

I told Ang that I want some. She says if I ever try and wear them in public she will throw me down, rip them off my feet, and throw them on top of a roof somewhere.

What a hater.

Shirley said...

Does that mean if I wear these outside I should watch my back in case Ang is hiding in the bushes?

Bring it on Ang...I'm ready! (I'm really light on my feet with these new foamy shoes!)

Anonymous said...

I also thought that crocs were the ugliest shoe ever invented. Why oh why does everyone wear these ugly shoes? But my friend made me try hers on and they were really comfortable! So one day after three days of shopping, my feet were oh so sore, I did it. I bought a pair of the ugliest shoes on earth. So you are not alone. We will both wear this ultra hip, no so pretty shoes. Be sure to bring them to the next gathering so we can match!

Shirley said...

Do you think that the flowers help at all with the ugliness, or do I just look like a pre-teen wannabe?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Shirley, you are so behind the times. I was wearing mine at the Family gathering in Jan.Thanks to C & C for the so hip Christmas gift. Mind you, mine are a more sedately colour - navy & mine are called DAWGS but they are plastic shoes. Char has had hers for a long time too & wears them constantly too. I see them here all over here but them you know where I live - Bible belt & all!!! Shirley, wear them wherever & whenever you want, you rock!!
Your favorite Auntie

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your shoes,dear, but tell me where does the part about better support come in? Is a plastic shoe really going to hug your arches?

Shirley said...

Ha Ha. Auntie Lil, I am not surprised that you are ahead of me in the fashion world. You always were pretty hip! But Dawgs, Crocks...Uuggs...who comes up with these names?

And yes, I must admit...the whole helping the arches thing is still up for debate. But it must be better than slippers right? (Even though I am currently wearing my slippers. It's a hard habit to break. I guess you can't teach an old Dawg new tricks!)

Toad said...

SERIOUSLY. YOU CAN GO TO A STORE AND BUY SHOES THAT GIVE ARCH SUPPORT THAT DON'T HAVE TO LOOK LIKE THIS. SERIOUSLY.

I AM A HATER. AND PROUD TO BE ONE.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Too funny. I don't have any but I find myself slipping into my nine year old daughters crocks to check the mail. And they sure feel nice--and quite small. :)
I don't like the look of those rubber shoes so I still choose to be uncomfortable. Pride still rules. Scary but true.

Anonymous said...

Finally...I'm going to make a comment Shirley. I love my DAWGS. I put them on first thing in the morning and I wear them all day til I go to bed. I only wear mine indoors and find them best to wear with socks on.

Shirley said...

CHARLOTTE!!! I knew I would pull you out of the "lurker's closet" eventually!! Ha! That made my day. :)