So a Chicken Walks into this Bar...
And now for something completely different...
I would like to dedicate this post to the fairest of all fowl – the chicken. I am having a little love affair with chicken. I realize that there is nothing witty or humorous that can be said about the chicken, but it is truly a post worthy bird.
Do you know that there are more chickens than people in the world? Good thing they don’t ban together and take over. In the movies they talk about the fear of aliens taking over the planet. I think the true species to watch here is the chicken. Do you know that Alektorophobia is the fear of chickens?
So as I was saying, I love chicken. And with apologies to all vegetarians and animal rights activists, I will continue this post. If I had to give up all other form of meat and just eat chicken for the rest of my life, I would do it in a heartbeat. There are just so many options. Cook it whole, dice it and make a stir fry, boil it and turn it into chicken noodle soup. There is baked chicken, fried chicken, chicken souvlaki, chicken on the grill, chicken wraps, chicken salad... This is a very versatile meat!Do you know that In Gainesville, Georgia, (the chicken capitol of the world) there is a by-law making it illegal to eat chicken with a fork! Do you also know that chickens and turkeys cross-bred are known as “turkins”? Just a few little known facts about chickens (which I got by googling "a few little known facts about chickens". That internet...what a tool).
And now I give you the reason for this post…I will let you in on a little secret that has been changing my mealtime conundrums for the last while. The incredible, oh so simple, multi- meal, chicken mixture that has turned me into a less harried, happy housewife, while keeping the hubby, healthy, happy and not at all hungry. This is what I do…I buy a couple packages of lean ground chicken (more if I am really feeling ambitious), and cook it together with onion, and lots of mushrooms. Then I mix it with a touch of water and taco seasoning. Yum Yum. (You could use chopped up chicken breast, but I am going for quick here, so I buy the ground stuff). This then is what we eat all week. I used it in wraps, for chicken taco salad, in pitas, and my personal favorite…
...the chicken pita pizza. Take a whole wheat pita, top it with salsa, then the chicken mixture, then I add more sliced mushrooms, because I am also a mushroom addict and then 1 1/2 tbsp light grated cheese on top. Cook it in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes or so and you have a healthy and very tasty meal. Add a salad, and even better. (And only 5 points for a pizza. Those of you who care to know that info will know what I am talking about!). Yum Yum. What are you waiting for...start chopping those mushrooms! Oh and one more thing...did you know that the closest living relative of the t-rex is the chicken? And some of you scoffed when I warned about chickens taking over the planet. I bet that Alektorophobia is kicking in now isn’t it? .

12 comments:
DARN YOU AND MUSHROOMS.
NOW I WILL STARVE TO DEATH.
ITS ALL YOUR FAULT
I'll have to try that, minus the mushrooms of course.
(And only 5 points...that's really good!)
What is all this hatred towards mushrooms? I put them in EVERYTHING!!! You guys are really missing out.
I'm not sure which is more appropriate here; "You're strange, Christian", or "Why a chicken, cousin?"
Tomorrow's Menu:
Breakfast: Mushroom and cheese omlette
Lunch: Mushroom soup and tossed salad with mushrooms, red peppers, and tomatoes
Supper: Pepperoni and mushroom pizza
I hope Ang likes it... Yum.
I am SO THERE for all of that!! And maybe I'll bring a dish of sauted mushrooms and stuffed mushrooms to start. Yum Yum.
its 1:12 am and i'm waiting to leave for the train. and i almost gagged reading about all those mushrooms.
Shirley,
Friends recently introduced us to a product from Costco: Canned (cooked) chicken breast. It's quick and convenient. Even I used it to make my own meal the other day. I'm sure it is more appetizing than GROUND chicken.
XO
today i bought a tray of sliced mushrooms, they looked so appetizing. and might just fry them with some onions! but do not be fooled, they are not your best choice of veggie. s.
also needed to say that the chicken tenders (why no longer called chicken fingers? seem to be all the rage now at wendys. a big hit for sure.
Well although those chicken tenders are indeed little morsels of heaven, they are not exactly the picture of good health that I am trying to promote here.
Now I'm craving them.
Thanks.
Carol - my mom gave me one of those cans when I was home at Christmas time. I put it in my cupboard, and every so often went and looked at it skeptically. There is just something about chicken in a can that I just can't get my mind around. Finally Harv broke down and used it in a sandwhich. It smelled like tuna. I don't know if that was because it actually smelled like tuna, or because tuna is the only meat that we eat out of a can, and my tastebuds were all confused.
Post a Comment