Clean Hands - Sad Heart
Today was going to be the day. It was the day that I was going to do my civic horticultural duty by adding to the world’s vegetation. It was the day we were going to put in the garden. We were scheduled to participate in our church’s annual spring cleaning day. I wanted to clean fast so that I would have time to get on the garden gloves. Others did not have the same drive as me. Or rather they just kept thinking of more jobs to add to the list.
And just as a side note…why is it that 20% of the church does 80% of the work? I told Harv before we left exactly who was going to be there to participate in this day of service. And for the most part I was dead on. Why is it that the same people do all of the work in the church? Why do we fill the seats for potlucks and BBQ’s but when it comes to cleaning, or volunteering for some form of service everyone is busy and doing other things? It is the same people that show up to do cleaning. It is the same people that sing in the nursing homes. It is the same people that attend the evening Bible studies. And then we wonder why these faithful people are tired and burnt out. It just drives me crazy. Hasn’t everyone heard that old expression that “many hands make light work”? Just a little plug for all of you church goer's out there to get involoved in some form or another in your churches - even if it means cleaning toilets.
But I digress…In my haste to make miraculous transformations in the church with visions of seedlings dancing in my head, I didn’t take note of the weather – cold and rainy. By the time we got home the garden was so muddy that there was no hope of planting. I stood at the edge of the garden with dashed hopes. Sigh. The spirit was willing but the soil was weak…or rather the soil was sticky clumps of mud.
I am looking out for sunny days, and hoping that soon my hands will once again be covered in mud.
4 comments:
that's it, i'm leaving.
Oh very funny. I wasn't talking about YOU...you are in the 20%...right?
Hey - when can I come over for some of that beef you have in the freezer?
AW
Tomorrow works for me...does tomorrow work for you?
I was just thinking about you this afternoon stranger!
Post a Comment