April 06, 2006

Sleeping With One Eye Open...

So, I have been taking in some pretty interesting news items as I walk on the treadmill. This treadmill thing isn’t just good for the state of my heart, but also for my mind. Like killing two birds with one stone so to say. But I don’t really like to associate the treadmill with killing because I am hoping that this will extend my life and not cut it short.

But speaking of killing, today’s little tid bit of informational news was quite unspeakable, but I shall speak of it anyway. Did you know that 6 people are killed by their spouse a day in the U.S.A.? BY THEIR SPOUSE!! Shocking. They were giving some pointers on how to know if the one sleeping next to you at night was about to go over the brink and make a hit on your life…y’know…take you out. So according to the “expert” (and I am using that term loosely) one of the signs of someone on the edge is someone who exhibits extreme selfishness, and self centeredness. Someone who thinks it’s all about them. Well my goodness. All I could think of is that Harv better start sleeping with one eye open, because his life could be in danger! You never know when I might snap.

Yes, the green monster of selfishness has reared it's ugly head in our household from time to time, but I hardly think that this would assign either Harv or myself to a life of mass murder. There have been times where I have indeed sang to Harv “It’s all about me….Shirley”, but does that mean that Harv should start sleeping with a switchblade under the pillow for protection? I hardly think so.

Well I am just so glad that I know who it is that I am sleeping beside, and I know who it is that I am married to (they are the same person!!). I am glad that I can sleep in peace knowing that I will not be on the 6:00 news tonight just because I struggle with wanting a little bit more attention than maybe I am allotted, and because I like to have things done my way. Ok…I know that I should work on that, BUT – I would like to worry about fixing the selfishness without having to worry about working on the murderous tendencies. One problem at a time. After all, a leopard can't change it's spots overnight right?

May you all have a very peaceful sleep…

4 comments:

Becky said...

I thought the green monster was jealousy... ?

Shirley said...

The Incredible Hulk was green, and look at his fits of temper and rage. I think green is fitting for many occasions. OK your right - but the violet monster of selfishness just didn't seem as fitting. The Chartruse monster? Aqua...?

Becky said...

LOL. I like the sound of the chartruse monster of selfishness... Has a sort of symbolism that appeals to me. After all, what kind of monster would pick chartruse but a selfish one? Maybe a decorating one?

Speaking of decorating. Do you ever watch How Not To Decorate. It is the best decorating show I've ever seen.

(Can you tell I'm putting off work again? Sigh.)

John said...

I thought of saying something on this post, but why does everything have to jump to some stupid reality,(and I use that term loosely ) show. And then about decorating. Oh Becky, that is so sad. Still funny stuff Shirley.