February 14, 2006

Hubby - 1 Wife - 0

Do you ever feel like you just don’t get it? That you are just not quite making the grade?

Today my Hubby spoiled me for Valentine's Day. He brought me tulips, one of my most loved flowers, a great card, and best of all – the DVD of Grey’s Anatomy – Season #1 which was just released this morning. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. It’s my all time favourite show which I could watch every night, and now – well, I can! He knows me well. He knows how THRILLED I would be with such a treasure. He is a good husband.

And as for me as a wife…well, not so good. I can’t say that I have spoiled him back for Valentine’s Day. I ran ahead of him into Superstore tonight and picked out a card while he was getting the cart. It was late, so it was just me, and the other sheepish, neglectful spouses digging through a pathetic shame-filled sea of leftover, picked through cards. They were already marked down, and they might as well of had a neon flashing sign “Loser Lover” shining brightly above the card section. I put it in the cart, and Harv paid for it. There was no gift. Not even a special supper made for him tonight, because we were with the church all day on a ski trip.

So I’m wondering if anyone is looking for a slightly used and quite pathetic wife. I think Harv is looking to trade me in for a better model – preferable someone who is good with the Hallmark holidays!

I don’t even have a good excuse. I just suck. I am not romantic, I never know what to buy Harv for presents, I forget to buy cards till the last minute, it nearly kills me to try and plan something for his birthday, and I was relieved at Christmas when we were too poor to exchange presents. This is not my most shining hour people!

But I am not all bad. When I make him a lunch for his City Ministerial meetings, I sometimes put a little “hope you’re having a good day” note inside. I have been known to fill his shampoo bottle when I notice it is getting empty, so that he doesn’t find himself in the early morning tired and shampoo-less. I give him a "once over" on Sunday mornings, so that he will not find himself preaching a heart felt sermon with cereal in his teeth or cat hair on his tie. I watch where he puts things, so that I know where to find them when he is running through the house in frustration, and I talk non-stop to the point of annoyance to others about all the qualities that I love about him, and what a wonderful man he is. BUT I CAN’T CONQUER THE HALLMARK HORROR!! I can’t get it together for the special occasions.

Is there an equivalent to flowers for men? I can’t buy Harv flowers. He will know that they are more for me, than for him. But what is the equivalent for men? Last time I checked electronics were quite a bit more expensive than carnations or tulips! And really, a bouquet of Bic pens just doesn’t have the same effect as a dozen long stemmed roses. You men have it easy – you really do.

So, I definitely didn’t make it into the “Most Wonderful Wife Hall of Fame” for Valentine’s Day. And given my pathetic track record, things aren’t looking too hopeful for Easter or St. Patty’s Day either. But I would like to express to my dear Hubby that it is NOT that I don’t love you with every fibre of my being! I REALLY do. I am just not so good at this sort of thing.

And as for all of you, any sort of counsel would be much appreciated. Maybe with your help I could make it into the Hall of Fame for Thanksgiving or Chinese New Year. I do make a mean Fried Rice…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let him read your blog comments about him each year for the special holiday celebrations. His heart will be greatly encouraged. I bet he enjoys surprising you on Valentines Day and being the big hero who remembers such events when so many men forget or don't care. Praising him for that is a great gift.

Becky said...

Once I made Glen a bouquet of cookies shaped like hearts. On Boy Valentine's Day I always make him jello, which I hate, and meatloaf, which I despise. I hope he doesn't read this because I think the pen bouquet is a fabulous idea! I never have a pen and then I steal his from his jacket or his school bag and then I lose it. It drives him nuts, cause he only needs one pen and then he's set. He NEVER LOSES THEM! I can't understand it. When I was in school or working I would lose an average of two pens (permanently) a week and about 10 (temporarily) a day. Anywho. I'm gonna do a pen bouquet this year. THANKS! On Boy Valentine's Day we also generally rent a movie that I don't want to watch AND I let him have the remote the whole day... Such sacrifice, I know. Anywho. I've got to go call you now cause I need a chat. LATA!

John said...

I don't know about Harv, but for me anything that can be called a tool is always a good gift. Doesn't matter that I might not use it, in fact I have tools that I haven't taken out of the box yet, but I know I have them and they are all special to me. And if you really want to make me happy, something from the Fishing Hole or like minded store. Ummmmmmmmmm fish hooks.

Shirley said...

What is with you and fishing?

Anonymous said...

If you have to cook anyhow, it's pretty easy to plan to make something a little special -- you can do prep the night before if you're going to be out all day. Or if you've been out all day and are too tired, get some inexpensive takeout and eat it with candles.

Write him a letter telling him all the things you appreciate about him.

Give him coupons for favours you can do for him, or a special dinner, or a batch of something he likes to eat.

Go out with him and do something he enjoys that you might not normally agree to do or want to do.

I guess I just find it funny that we rip into men for forgetting things, when women are just as bad, if not worse! We just think it's funny!

Well, get on it, girl!

Anonymous said...

i dont know you meg but i have never eaten anything that tastes good mixed with candles...