If a Tree Falls in the Forest...Does Anybody Hear?!
I have a silly little routine. Every morning I go over to our big living room window, open the curtains, and with a little leap of my heart and a shiver of happiness, I look upon the street where I live. This is done with great measures of affection and thankfulness. I am thankful to have windows. I am thankful to have a street. I am thankful to have a home. Those of you who visited us where we moved from will appreciate my appreciation. I watch the kids walking off to school. I watch my neighbour daily fussing with her yard. I gaze upon the loveliness of everything that is on my beloved street.
Well the other morning as I opened my curtains with the zest and joy that has become my custom; I was greeted by an unfamiliar sight. A work crew had assembled and were surveying the damage that the last snow storm had done to one of the trees in front of our house. A branch had half broken off, and was dangling perilously over the street. I watched them mulling and chain-sawing and thought of the joys of home ownership, and of living in a city where a crew will come and deal with “my part” of the city sidewalk. My joy turned to a gasp of horror while I watched as they not only took care of that wayward fallen branch, but proceeded to saw the ENTIRE tree to the ground. “Stop! Stop!” I cried from the glass window. “Honey, look what they are doing – GET OUT THERE!!!!” But Honey did not go. I would have run out myself, but I was in my P.J’s, and really, what would I have said? There were four of them, and only one me. In an unbelievable matter of mere moments, that tree was no longer. And I couldn’t believe my eyes.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I am not usually a known “saver of the trees”. I have never chained myself to a great oak in protest. I have never gone tree planting. It is not usually my great passion (though I do love them). I don’t know, maybe I am feeling a little sensitive because of the Great Tree Massacre of 2005 - the deforestation of my neighbour’s yard that made trees everywhere hang their limbs in sorrow as tree after tree after tree after tree came down last summer. You could not help be feel a little bit of tree sorrow at that sight, and I heard a little “Save the Trees” protest beat drumming away in my heart. I am not a known tree advocate, but there was something about this that just wasn’t right.
As I pondered about this, one thought kept coming to my mind – I am so glad that God is not like these city crews. One fallen branch and that tree was cut down in its prime. I am so glad that God does not cut me down when I have a fallen moment, or when a part of me is broken. John 15 talks about us being like a vine, and God being like a gardener pruning and trimming the branches (things in us) that are not bearing fruit. Aren’t you glad that He just prunes the branches and doesn’t mow the entire tree down? I am thankful for a God that is gentle and patient, and who wants to see me flourish and grow even though I am weak and so often broken. I am so thankful that He takes care of the broken branches and still lets me stand and bloom where I have been planted. I am thankful for a wise God who knows which branches to prune and which ones to leave. So this is what I am pondering today. And now this is me, bowing out. Heh heh…little pun there. Bowing…y'know...like a tree bow...heh heh...I crack me up.
7 comments:
Shirley--once again you have come up with deep insights-spurred on by the daily events in your life--but as a fellow tree-lover ,I do hope losing trees will be a vey rare event.The application of how God tenderly prunes us for our good and more fruitfulness is so well put--keep up the inspirational writing for your avid readers!
What an excellent sermon illustration. Thanks..
did you ever hear of sodom and gomorrah? what about the great flood, or the time of job? the entire city of ninevah NEARLY bit the dust, as did everyone in the wrong place at the wrong time with samson. you know there are other examples but i cant see the forest for the trees. if a tree falls in the forest of course somebody hears, unless they are not there.
So, um...what are you saying? That God WILL mow you down for one flaw? What about the city of Nineveh? He did not destroy them when they turned from their evil ways. And God told Abraham that he if he could find even 10 righteous men in Sodom that He would not destroy the city (Gen 18). And TRUST ME, if God would destroy man for one flaw, I would have been gone a loooong time ago.
shirley... you're pretty cool... i think i need to make a trip to yorkton to visit beck and meet you... i enjoyed your blog... it will be visited frequently
Well my goodness...Travis...glad you have finally crossed over...Y'know, from Becky's blog to mine. It's about time Becky shared. Isn't that just like the internet...bringing people together.
I do the same thing you do every morning and open my blinds to see the world around me, grateful for another day! Boy am I glad God is not like the city crews, or I would have been hacked down years ago. He's always pruning me though. I get tired of the pruning process. I wonder if God will just leave me be for a season and let me grow.
Post a Comment