Rainy Days...to Spurn or to Splash?
I woke up this morning to a great delight outside my window. A cold and rainy day. I have always loved rainy days. There is something about them that makes me want to curl up with a blanket and a good book, or movie, and someone I love. Rainy days feel like days off. I don't know if I love them because when I was growing up, rainy days meant that life on the farm could possibly grind to a halt and we would get to do things as a family. We were well acquainted with the term "save it for a rainy day". It must have been a farmer that came up with that one. Whenever anyone complains of too much rain, people say..."it's good for the farmers" - so maybe I learned to see it in a positive light. I remember when we were young we went on a rare family trip to Florida. We went to Circus World, and because it was a rainy day there was hardly anyone there. No lines!! We went on rides to our hearts content. We were wet but happy.
Today on my happy rainy day I have no one to cuddle with. It is a Saturday, but my pastor hubby has gone to the office to catch up on work. Does this mean I should have married a farmer?!?! I really don't think so. I am quite happy with my choice, though sometimes I do see how being married to a pastor and to a farmer could have it's similarities. But THAT is another subject altogether for another blog... So, because the rainy day cuddling is out, I will instead hole myself up in my craft room and create to my hearts content.
Last night we had the youth group over for a fireside. I was a really good time of just hanging out. Some of the young boys were trying to convince their parents to consent to a sleep over. They left their list of winning arguments on my desk...
1. We will do all the chores.
2. We will be silent as ice cream.
3. We will wake up in the morning and make breakfast.
4. It's the ONLY weekend that he can come. (Is he being shipped out in the morning?)
4. We will not be annoying.
That gave me quite a chuckle this morning. Can you remember the days when all you had to worry about was whether or not you would be granted sleepover privileges? When a rainy day meant better puddles to splash in, not that the crops would be ruined or your basement flooded. When too much rain meant family fun days and limitless rides down Thunder Mountain, not that Hurricane Katrina was heading your way?
Sometime I envy the carefree days of youth (though they didn't always FEEL that way at the time). But really, are they not just putting into practice what God has been trying to get us to do all along..."IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS..." and to "BE ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING..."? Sometimes I think that kids already have mastered what adults spend a lifetime trying to learn. So I must ask myself...when did I "unlearn" it? Just something to think about. I think that I will go ponder that as I jump in the puddles in my backyard. Does anyone have rubber boots I could borrow? The only ones I have are child-sized.
3 comments:
I LOVE days like today. Overcast and rainy and dark. Sweet.
And I got to spend my day in a financial seminar, ALL DAY.
Serenity now!
oooohhh. I don't really know how to make a day in a seminar fun and carefree. I'll pray for rain for tomorrow.
Is it as cold over there than it is over here in Alberta! Crazy fall weather!
Hope you enjoyed your day in your craft room!
Mon
Post a Comment