Swimming the Backstroke Down the River of Rage...
Hi my name is Shirley, and I am a rageaholic. Apparently the first step is addmittance. So I am on my way to recovery. Yes, last night I was in quite a rage. Harv told me to watch my temper, and I just had to laugh because I have never in my 32 years even once been told to watch my temper. Interesting feeling. And how do you watch a temper? Do you just sit there and think..."Yep - it's there - I'm watching, and I can see it is brewing like a firey inferno!!!" Yes, it was a night of rage. And really now, this morning I am not quite sure of what all the inner angst was all about. My Bass guitar fell over and gouged a big hole in my plaster wall and baseboard, Harv had a meeting at 4:30 and didn't come home till 9:30. Who needs to meet about ANYTHING for FIVE HOURS?!?! I am suppossed to be playing piano for worship on Sunday and I still don't have the music - and practice is today(and the leader knows I am no Mozzart...I need practice). I was volunteered to be on yet another committee last night, because the consensus seems to be that I don't have enough to do around the church. OOhhhh - that must be the biggy...I can feel the chewy chunks of rage building in my throat as I mention that one. Abby - our most loved and spoiled cat - scratched up my newly painted wall in her attempt to literally climb the walls. And then Harv and I heard her crash something last night, but fought over who was going to get up and check what she did. And as I lay there in bed raging, I thought...this can't be good for the blood pressure!! So yes, it was a horrible, no good, very bad, yucky day. But I survived. And it is amazing what a good nights rest can do. I am feeling better today. I am even smiling as I hear the continual beep-beep-beep of the neighbors rented back-O as he landscapes his yard. He is putting up a garage. The beep is continual. CONTINUAL. It sort of reminds me of the time that I was living in Winnipeg and they started building the Home Depot in the lot beside our apartment. About 6 feet away from my bedroom window. At 6 in the morning. And the beeping, the constant beeping...somebody stop the beeping!!!!! HEY...maybe THAT is when my anger management problem started?!?! ANYWAYS...so today I am taking deep cleansing breaths, thinking happy thoughts, and meditating on Isaiah 26:20 "Come my people, enter thou into thy chambers and shut the doors about thee: hide thyself for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast." Wouldn't it be nice if we could just hide ourselves away anytime there was any inner angst? I have a feeling I would be hiding ALOT. Maybe instead I will just learn to accept that everyone has a bad day once in a while and that is OK. I will learn to laugh at my rage problem. Didn't they always say that when life hands you lemons - make lemonade? Well how about if we are going to be swimming down the river of rage anyways...might as well make it fun and do the backstroke. Just a thought. Water wings anyone?
3 comments:
Shirley --this writing is both brilliant and theraputic!I can see publishers knocking at your door, demanding the rights to the manuscript of this creative new author!
aaaawwww shucks. thank ya. That would be another thing I could then cross off the list of 100 things I would like to do before I die!
You should borrow Ben sometime and rock him for a while. Seriously. Excellent therapy for ragers like ourselves.
Post a Comment