Is this REALLY my Life?
So my sister has been complaining to me that my blogs are too "nice". Too Pastors-wife-ish. And though her opinion grieves me deeply, I have decided to make her day with a good old fashioned VENT. And you all get to come along for the ride...
Sometimes (like today) I wonder...WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?! I am referring of course to the life direction that Harv and I have chosen. Sometimes I shake my head in disbelief at the fact that not only are we in this profession, but we have CHOSEN to be. In fact...before I even married Harv - this is what I wanted. And again I must ask...WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!? I can't believe that anyone would deliberately choose to be in the Pastorate. Expectations are high, and affirmation is low. Criticism is handed out like candy canes from Santa's knee. I have been criticised for everything from where I sit in church to the lack of spirituality in my Christmas cards. And I must ask myself...why are people so free to give their opinions to the pastor? Do I go up to any random person or friend just to fill them in on what they are doing wrong, and how I feel they could do it better? Do I share with others my thoughts on what I like and don't like about them? Comments about their house? Their clothes? Their use of time? About ANYTHING I feel the need to comment on? No I don't. But why do people feel such freedom to impart all their wisdom and understanding on the pastor and his wife? It's just not right people!! We have feelings people!! (Why do I suddenly feel the need to climb on my table and sing "We're Not Gonna Take It" - the hit single from Twisted Sister that influenced my entire junior high class reach great levels in boundary setting.)
So I guess if you get anything from this little tyrade of mine, just remember this...be nice to your pastor people. Tell them when they are doing things right, and not just when they have missed the mark. They are not idiots...they know their failures and shortcomings just as well as you do...they scream out to them whenever they look in the mirror! Give them lots of affirmation, and maybe even a little chocolate. Don't worry about them getting a swelled head, there are enough others who make it their life work to keep them humble.
Now I feel that I should end this blog with reasons why we do love what we do, and why we are the most blessed of people...but I think it would make this all a little too "nice", and so for the sake of my sister, I will bid you farewell. Sometimes you end on the sweet, sometimes you end on the sour. Put 'em together and you've got a lovely chicken dip. But that's another subject entirely. Maybe I should have been a chef...
3 comments:
oooh la la. just what the dr ordered, a heaping bowl of reality bites. question: does anybody in your church have a computer???
why do you say you should have been a chef? you still could be! what are you going to be?
love that blog baby!
I'm from her church and I have a computer and I'm pretty offended, I must tell you...
That Shirley with her sweet and sour comments, making me all hungry for chinese food. MAN! The nerve! And THEN she doesn't even have the courtesy to call me up and invite me over for sweet and sour... and maybe an eggroll. I tell you. I'm bringing this up at the next annual meeting. SHE CAN COUNT ON IT! COUNT ON IT!
Yes I guess there is that risk of being exposed by the blog. And yet... I don't seem to care. Have I been so hardened that I have forgotten the parameters of social decorum? Good thing that I have Harv to keep me in check. And Becky, about that annual meeting thing...BRING IT ON SISTER!!! Tee Hee.
But be gentle.
Post a Comment