October 12, 2005

A Glitch on the Path of Learning...

I had my second bass guitar lesson yesterday, and the question that I am asking myself is this...Does there come a point in ones life where you just don't have the smarts to learn something new? With all the information I have learned about working with seniors, I know that this is not true- but I am starting to think that I am just too old (or too stupid) to tackle a new thing. I know, I know...this is the learning process. I got that speech from Harv yesterday when I was about the throw my guitar across the room. But the thing is...I don't remember the learning process being such a ...process. I don't remember learning to walk, or learning to tie my shoe. It is all a blur. Did I feel this stupid then too? Was there a point that I was going to give up and be forced to wear slip on sandals for the rest of my life? Which incidentally IS what I wear - so maybe that is a sign?!? Maybe I should have accepted my fate, right there in Mrs. Goertzen's kindergarten class, that I am not good at learning new things. I mean after all, they make some really attractive velcro release footwear these days. Sigh. But I am going to heed my hubby's advice and I am not going to give up. I WILL master this bass guitar if it kills me. I had to phone my sister to get some encouragement. She is also learning a new instrument. She is doing fine, so obviously this block doesn't run in the family. Well I guess I should go practice. The "bass boogie" is calling my name. I did hear the other day this quote..."If you want to increase your rate of success, then double your rate of failures." So with that encouragement I will go plod along. But first I think I am going to head to Payless Shoes. I just had a sudden yearning for a nice pair of lace up leather loafers!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

learning is a commitment, you must know that. i have spent every afternoon for the past 4 weeks practising my new instrument. it takes nothing but time (and some uncanny talent of course). i also found a french course and want to keep working on that. i invited a friend to join, she says she doesnt really want to go to the class, in fact she doesnt want to learn french at all. she wants to SPEAK french, sure, like if she woke up tomorrow and started speaking french. but the idea of LEARNING it (namely the commitment) has no appeal. this is the same friend that has been inviting me to join a gym. but that is another story, see my blog.