Bursting the Bubble
I have been going about normal living the last few days. But normal has not felt...normal. I have been trying just to think about the things that I normally think about. But my mind is continually drawn back to thoughts of Haiti. My heart feels heavy.
I have never been a news watcher. I don't like watching it, and actually avoid watching for the most part (unless I am missing Harv and want to spend some quality (?) time with him). The news makes me sad and anxious and just generally worried about different situations. It is just easier if I don't watch, and pretend that their lives have nothing to do with my life.
Shamefully, this is generally how I feel. Separate. Not affected by the wars and strife and political unrest and poverty and lostness of the world around me. Why is it so easy to live in a little unaware bubble?
But once in a while something happens. Something like this earthquake in Haiti, and it is impossible to keep up the indifferent separation. It is too huge. Too horrible. Too close to home - even though it is so far away. And then I know why it is easier to live unaware - because being aware makes me feel helpless. And inconsequential.
My heart breaks for the people of Haiti. They are people like us. People with families and friends. People with plans for the weekend, and projects on the go. People learning how to be mothers to new babies. Teenagers with self esteem issues. Couples with joys and struggles in marriage. People who laugh and cry; who share memories together and pray together. Different people who are just like us. Who went to bed at night with their to do list for the next day. Who kissed their husbands good bye and sent them to work. Who rocked their babies while thinking of their hopes and dreams for the future. Who had no idea how in an instant their life would change forever.
And now things will never be the same.
And my heart hurts for their hurt. And I pray that God would be a safe, secure shelter in a time when everything has crumbled down around them. And I pray that they will feel our love across this big world, that just maybe isn't quite so big after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment