The Stressful Bliss of Free Time
6 hours of free time. That is what I have. 6 hours to do whatever I please. Harv has taken Sam into the city to visit Grandpa and Grandma, leaving me with 6 hours to myself. 6 hours alone in my house. 6 hours alone with my thoughts - something that has not happened in more than 4 months. Not since the little one came in and disrupted our lives in such a pleasing, yet time consuming manner. Oh the bliss.
Being the freakishly unrealistic list writer that I am, I immediately came up with a list of more than 20 things that I needed to do, wanted to do, or just thought would be fulfilling to my inner psyche. Work on my baby book, work on my thank-you cards, paint my toenails, drive into town for some without-baby perusing, reading, organizing my office, writing in my blog, finding out if I still had a blog that people read, writing some letters, making some phone calls, having a nice long nap, having a shower without having to talk in sing-songy voice to the little one sitting outside the shower curtain, watching TV, napping again and the list went on as the thoughts and ideas flowed. As the list got longer and longer, the little prickles of stress became more and more prevalent, overtaking the bliss.
Harv, upon seeing the list, and knowing my freakishly unrealistic nature of wanting to accomplish EVERYTHING on that list, kindly offered to dispose of it. He instructed that the only thing I needed to do today was to sit and twiddle my thumbs in a restful and rejuvenating manner. (Thank you honey for even providing a physical demonstration of thumb twiddling, as I had forgotten.)
So here I am…resisting the urge of my inner to-do and embracing the bliss of the whatever. I had a great long shower (and even shaved my legs!!), I have revisited the joy of blogging – which I had forgotten about. And now I am off to do…whatever. Anything and everything. Or nothing…whatever I want. Oh the bliss.
1 comment:
You got a thumb twiddling demo? That's hilarious!
The "to do" list will always be there. Take time for yourself while you can! Always easier said than done.
Post a Comment