November 05, 2007

Disembodied Words

It is amazing to me how much time I can spend thinking about this blog of mine. The quest for writing material has become somewhat of an obsession in my life. I find my office littered with scraps of paper containing post ideas and potential article fodder that were scribbled down to prevent the risk of forgetting. I wander through life creating various diatribes in my head knowing that my faithful readers will find a source of amusement, or be drawn into some sort of thoughtful reflection. I cannot tell you how many times I have grinned at my husband and said those all too familiar words: “I am SO blogging about THIS!”.

Now one would think that with this wealth of potential writing material this blog would be the most happening, ever-changing place on the World Wide Web. Sadly I realize that this is most definitely not the case. In fact, it seems that lately I have been hard pressed to come up with even a few posts in a matter of a month. The question of why this is circles around in my brain, as day after day the scraps of paper multiply, and day after day, I can’t seem to put my contemplation to composition.

A few of my blogging friends have joined NaBloPoMo which is basically a challenge to post something every day for the month of November. When I read of this challenge I laughed and thought “There is absolutely NO WAY I could pull that off!” which is an attitude of realism that is somewhat unusual for me, as I am more of a leaper and not a looker, so to speak. Take for example the Christmas I bought materials to paint the entire congregation wooden tree ornaments to add in with their card. That didn’t happen. Or the time I sewed 50 little angel bodies to complete for a craft fair. I now have 48 little bags of decapitated stuffing sitting on my shelf. I have jumped in with both feet on more than one occasion only to fall flat on my nose.

For some reason I knew that this NaBloPoMo was a challenge that I could not pull off. So sadly, this is not an announcement that you will be getting a daily dose of my thoughts to swallow with your morning coffee. But rather I would like to say that, I feel inspired. Or maybe challenged is more appropriate. I want to think about what stops me from writing here on a regular basis, and I am hoping that will translate into more posts for the future. I want to believe that I was indeed called to be a writer and not just a researcher (though incidentally, if you own a blog and need writing material – I’m your girl). I want discover why all the words in my head are not so easily translated to my screen.

And frankly, I’d like to clean all these scrap papers off my desk. They are starting to pile up and overtake the disembodied angels and naked tree ornaments.

3 comments:

Becky said...

When are you coming over? I'm starting to run out of tiny Mars bars.

Sandra Knight said...

i have a blog and need writing material. i will be posting every day in nov. (love a challenge)


name withheld so to protect your competitive nature.

anon.

Shirley said...

Um...you CAN'T say that you are withholding your name and THEN sign in under your username you ninny. haha

And besides...I would know it was you whether you signed in or not. Because we're sisters...and you can't get much past sisters. I know you better than you know yourself. :)