October 19, 2007

A Little Mush and Gush for My Pastor

I am taking my pastor out for supper tonight. Just him and me. I am giving him a whole lot of lovin' and I am encouraging you to do the same. OK...before I get you all ex-communicated, let's clarify... by lovin', I am meaning appreciation.

October is Pastor Appreciation month. Did you all know that? We can thank Hallmark for coming up with yet another great reason to celebrate various people in our lives. I don't know if I ever really noticed Pastor's appreciation month when I was growing up. But that was then, and this is now, and now is a whole new ballgame. I see things very differently now. Now that I am actually married to my pastor, I have a whole new appreciation for this Hallmark event. And so tonight I am celebrating my great pastor.

Let me tell you about my pastor...I have a wonderful pastor. He is kind and compassionate. He is a great listener, and is never in a hurry. He puts a lot of time into preparing for Sunday morning, and he is genuinely concerned for the spiritual well being of his congregation. He is a man of integrity. He keeps his word. He keeps his appointments. He also makes me laugh. He is quirky, and fun, and he always laughs at people's jokes. He has a great way of making people feel good about themselves...and feel loved. And so I want to say to my pastor...my love, you are doing a great job. I know you have been discouraged lately, but I am so proud of you, and I know you will keep pressing on. Thank you for all you do for my church and for me as a member. Oh, and on top of all that, I think you are adorable, and you look great in a tie. I love you!!

Now go forth people, and do the same. Smother your pastors with appreciation. Trust me, they need it...they really do. Oh, but maybe cool it down a notch of all the mushy love stuff. I don't want you to get yourself in trouble. I just can't help it. He brings it out in me...

5 comments:

Sandra Knight said...

i believe it was focus on the family, not hallmark, that initiated pastor appreciation month. also, isnt there a conflict of interest in being pastored by someone who has married you??

==food for theological thought.

anon.

Christine said...

I like your pastor too. He's fab.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That was me. (Becky) Although I believe my mom likes Harv too. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Thanks sweetheart for how you appreciate me. I love you. HJ

Sandra Knight said...

my goodness, soon it will be time for a post on halloween...sk