March 03, 2007

Best Little Non-Coffee Shop in Town

For someone who hates coffee, I certainly “go for coffee” a lot in this town. Being the pastor’s wife, it seems that there is never a shortage of people who are ready and willing (and some expecting) to “do coffee” with me. On a regular basis I find myself, bottled water in hand, staring across from someone drinking deeply from the amber brew. After almost 4 years of coffee dates, I am getting to know the establishments of this town.

I know that the Ice Cream Cabin is a well known coffee stop. It has great lunches. You can get a healthy pita for only $4.00. The food is excellent, but the space is cramped, and if you are lucky enough to get a seat, it is hard and uncomfortable for any extended visiting. You can also expect that because of the size of the "cabin" the entire population of the room will be in on any conversation you have whether you would like to include them or not.

I know that the local Tim Horton’s serves great coffee (the best in town some say…I wouldn’t know), and the Tim Bits are yummy, but it is crowded - always crowded, and the many seniors that frequent the establishment seem to have a staring problem that makes me a little uncomfortable. It is probably my least favorite place to meet for coffee dates.

Robin’s is better. It’s a little quieter for in-depth conversation, and they serve great hot chocolate. But the seats are hard, and the last time I was there I nearly froze to death.

Boston Pizza is by far my favorite. The booths are cozy and comfortable for extended time periods. I have had my best conversations there hands down. In the afternoons it is slow and quiet. The relaxed atmosphere and bottomless drinks are great for lulling people into a comfortable state of “baring all inner thoughts and percolations”. Add the Chocolate Explosion, and it's the perfect coffee date for a non-coffee-er such as myself.

But last week I discovered the most wondrous establishment of them all. It is Yorkton’s best kept secret: an unexpected place of cozy contentment…right in my very own home. I served a church friend hot chocolate steaming in my new winter mugs, and we settled into our comfy couches and talked and shared to our heart's content. The temperature was perfect. No seniors were staring. No bystanders were getting the goods on my personal life. Best of all, there was no bill to pay at the end of the conversation. The hours flew by. It was great. “Chez Shirley” is a definite repeat and open for business, so come on down and let’s “do coffee” sometime!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

March 8

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday dear Becky!
Happy Birthday to you!

Becky said...

You're back. Now write me a post.

Shirley said...

Yes I will get right on that. Consider it a belated birthday present. :)