Polishing the Shine on the Blushing Bride
I once heard a story about a pastor going through some ministry struggles. He was asked the question, “How do you feel about the church?” Without even hesitating he answered, “She’s the Bride of Christ. I love her.” Never had I felt such a strong mixture of inspiration, shame, awe, rebuke, motivation, and regret. I feel like I need to talk about that today – especially after my last post. What a great way to view the church, as a dearly loved, unique, bride of Christ. It makes me think of a glowing bride – with all the excitement, the emotions, the mood swings, the bliss, the anxiety…all the feelings and characteristics that come out in a bride before her big day. I think it is easy for those who work in the church to get somewhat of a jaded view. We deal with so many things – from those servants who long to give of themselves, to those who daily practice the gift of discouragement – leaving a trail of wounded in their wake. There are some that are so easy to love, and some that only a mother could love (and where is that mother now?). I have never really thought of the church as a whole – as a unit. I think about different individuals, but not the whole. There is something pretty comforting, and forgiving when you look at the church as a whole. If I look at the different personality types, and think of them in terms of a bride before her big day – I feel more peace. There are people who make me laugh and who I love to be around, sort of like the joyful bride when she gets a first glimpse of that great bouquet. Then there are those that are grumblers, and you feel like you can do nothing right – like the bride who realizes that the caterers are serving fish sticks instead of the chicken that she ordered – stressful. When you look at them individually, church work can be discouraging. But when you look at them together, they almost bring out a balance. It makes the church easier to appreciate as a unique, multifaceted bride, with different strengths and weaknesses – all making up that great whole. I would really like to start thinking of the church as a whole, as a unique bride of Christ with different personalities and characteristics. I think that would help me. I think that I will still want to scream when so-and-so gives me grief because my Christmas cards aren’t spiritual enough, but I think that I will have a better attitude about the church as a whole. Because she is after all the Bride of Christ, and I love her.
3 comments:
All I can say is. .. well said. You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! It's amazing when one person grumbles, they are the biggest grumblers. I realized this week that misery loves company. All you can do is love them! Anyways, we'll talk soon!
Blessings to you and Harv as you both work in His service!
Monica
Hmmmm... Still waiting for my phone call. Testing? Testing? Is this thing working?
i wonder if Christ continues to see us as a bride throughout our Looong relationship. I realize I kinda thought I should grow up - no more blushing, no more flighty feelings or confusion or stress - I should be all growed up, shouldn't I? Maybe not.
Post a Comment