November 04, 2006

Interesting Thing Happened Last Night...

When my Grandma and Grandpa got married many years ago they used the text from the book of Ruth where she say’s “…Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God…(1:16)” I was thinking about this last night, and wondering if Ruth forgot one…how about “your interests will be my interests”? We definitely take on the interests of our spouse when we get married – maybe we don’t adopt them whole heartedly, but they most definitely affect us – like it or not. I pondered this last night as I sat with my hubby in what I considered to be the world’s longest and coldest hockey game. We had a date last night - a date for Hubby. Tim Horton’s and Hockey…He was a very happy man.

I have a confession to make. I hate hockey. I really do. It is probably my least favorite sport. But I do love that man I married, and so in the interest of sharing his interests, off I went. Seeing as how I wasn’t 100% invested in the plays of the game, I had some time to observe and ponder. These are thoughts I would like to share with you today. I have entitled them – Shirley’s Wandering Hockey Thoughts…

*Why do they cut out the music JUST when I am getting into it? Every time.
*Why oh young girl do you wear a summery white mini skirt and sandals to a hockey game? Could that skirt possibly be any shorter? Aren’t you freezing? And where is your jacket? Do you notice EVERY SINGLE PERSON commenting on your goose bumps as they walk by? Was that the desired effect of the outfit?
*I wonder if that guy would notice if I tripped him and stole his popcorn.
*I can’t feel my toes. Are they still there?
*Does Harv know how cute he is?
*4 minutes 31, 30, 29, 28, 27…
*Did you know that if you draw blood it’s an immediate 4 min penalty?
*Seriously – how long can 4 minutes take?
*How does Slap Shot the mascot dog really feel about his job? Is he hot in all that fur? Would he lend me one of his paws to keep my hands warm?
*I like how the goalie can squirt water through his front teeth. That is a talent I should acquire.
*Is there any wife as bored as I?
*Where is your mother, oh young jacketless child?
*Where did they find the music soundtrack from my grade 7 sock hop dance? Cool.
*I think my nose just froze off.
*Why does Harv love having me here so much?
*Oh please don’t go into overtime. Please don’t go into overtime.

So attending that game didn’t turn me into a raving hockey fan. I can’t imagine that if Harv hadn’t come into my life I would have season tickets and a big foam hockey finger hanging from the wall, but regardless we both left the game happy. Harv got to share one of his interests with his favorite companion (me!). I got to see how happy that made him AND as a bonus, I got a whole new reason to update my blog – which definitely is of interest to me!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Okay... This may not be on topic. Actually, it's definately not on topic, but why do your font sizes keep changing? Not that there's anything wrong with random font sizes I'm just wondering... Are you doing it, or did I mess up somewhere? Wait. Maybe that was on topic since you mentioned getting to do something that interests you... Your blog.

Anyways, we didn't talk today... So I just wanted to say have a great trip. Oh, and can you watch our cats over the long weekend? Pretty please? (Warn Harv that we're gonna ask him about it at chruch tomorrow.)

Shirley said...

Yes the font sizes...it's an issue. I don't know what is happening with that, and I'm not even sure which one I like better.

HEY...public opinion poll here...which one looks better?

But it doesn't really matter, because I can't seem to change it anyways. Can you get on that Becky?

Yes, we will look after your cats. Not a problem!

Tia said...

I'm glad you were able to use this humdrum experience to delve into such pressing social issues. You will change the world, Shirley Faith! I'm certain of it.

Now, would you get back to it and post something else? I mean, I know you've been here with me, but now it's been 2 days and I'm starting to have withdrawal issues.

p.s. check out my blog - I'm baack!

Anonymous said...

..Shirley--you do have a way with words,and with revamping boring experiences into totally interesting postings.That's what I call making lemonade out of lemons!