Summer Storm Reeks Havoc on Small Saskatchewan Town - News at 11:00
Last night I saw things and heard things that these little eyes and ears have never been exposed to before. All we wanted was a quiet little supper. We were dining at the local pizza parlour when all mayhem broke lose. It was the storm of all storms. It was the likes that I have never seen. I shudder to think of it, but yet I could not look away. The wind, the hail, the rain - it sounded like a scene from Twister. Winds tearing, rain pounding, metal twisting, electricity flickering. I almost expected a level 5 tornado to rip through the restaurant, leaving a trail of pepperoni and pineapple in its wake. And as we attempted to make our way home the scene was more like a horror movie…the way the steam from the hail covered ground was thick like a fog over the dimly lit deserted park, the way the cars were abandoned on the roads that had turned to lakes. The ground was covered with white from all the hail. We even saw one couple shoveling their drive – clearing buckets of hail stones. Debris covered the streets, signs were blown over, trees were breaking like toothpicks. It was unbelievable.
But the saddest sight of all was in our very own yard. The ground is covered in apples, the plants and flowers are either completely dead and flattened, or barely hanging on. My beautiful Cana Lilies are shredded. The garden is COVERED in water. It is a literal lake. All three rows of corn are flat and broken. The potatoes are flat, and the tomatoes and zucchini plants are shredded and sitting in mud. It is a sad sad sight.
There is death and destruction everywhere. There is a dark cloud of sadness in my little heart today.
Sad, Sad Shirley



5 comments:
Awwwww... Oh dear. That is very sad. I hope the palm trees can pull you through this tragic period of your life.
That sounded sarcastic, but it wasn't. I mean it.
Shirley, I feel bad for you. Knowing how much you enjoyed your garden, I can't believe the storm had the gaul to land in your yard.
Hey. What the heck? Where's the new post you promised me?
I know I know!!! I'm working on it!! Inspiration comes slowly these days!!
Post a Comment