June 27, 2006

Something to Smile About...

As some of you know, my writing has taken somewhat of a depressive turn. And although that is fitting for my current mood, to avoid running the risk of completely depressing my readers I thought that today we would think about something on the lighter side. Here are a few things that have made me smile in the last few days…

…A phone call from my friend Amy. We have this amazing 18 year old friendship that makes my heart feel warm. I love how we can always pick up where we have left off. Our friendship is the epitome of this quote:

“Anyone who has ever attended a college reunion knows how easily two friends who haven’t seen each other for years can pick up the thread of conversation as if they had just flung it down, like a skirt they had been hemming to answer the doorbell.”

…I had this old song in my head yesterday – “My God is So Big”. It was reminding me of the old camp days. I can still hear the sound of my sandals scraping on the cement chapel floor…
…My lilies are blooming in the backyard.
…My friend Heather brought me a present the other day. “Just because she saw it and knew I would love it”. I can’t remember the last time someone other than Harv brought me a present for no occasion other than they really like me.
…I was near the baseball field the other day and the song they were playing over the loud speakers was “I love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett. I was immediately transported back in time. I will never forget…Tammy Wottons birthday party. Grade 5. A crazy rockin’ air band on the old brown couch. I played a mean electric guitar the likes no one had ever seen.
…I was crying on my husbands shoulder yesterday. It was a mixture of tears and mosquito spray. I am so glad that I have him. What a treasure. He makes me smile. And he makes me feel safe enough not to smile when I feel I can’t.
…We attended a grad BBQ tonight, and we have a grad banquet to attend tomorrow night. That means two nights of not cooking. That is enough to get anyone smiling.
…One of my youth girls is coming over to teach me how to play “The Sims 2”. This is a much needed lesson as on my own all my little Sims people have been dying of from boring parties, and oven fires.
…In 7 days I will be partaking in the “3rd annual-girls-only-card making-friendship-celebrating-extravaganza” event with my dearly loved friend Tia. I feel happy just thinking about it.
…My cat Abby…the fluffiest, furriest, cutest animal in the world who gives me ample opportunities to experience “motherhood” as I shower her with great care and affection.

You know…I feel a little better already.

No comments: