October 26, 2005

Rock Pickin' in the Quarry...

Well, we are adjusting to being back home. We have actually just jumped right back in head first. Or is that jumped in with both feet? I can never get those two straight. Yesterday we had a hospital visitation, a coffee delivery/visit, and an evening anniversary get together. Harv had to return about 25 emails/phone calls. So we are back to our life, and everything is A-OK. I had a momentary lapse of emotional control, but all is well. I had a good reminder in my comments box yesterday (from who?) that this world is not our home, and that we will always feel a little discontent - or "homesick" if you will - for what we are missing. A longing for Heaven that will never go away until we actually get there. It's too bad really - cause I have been searching for happiness for who knows how long. I would like to feel completely happy right now to tell you the truth. I don't really WANT to wait until Heaven. Sigh. Anne of Green Gables asked once if we would rather be divinely beautiful, smart, or angelically good. I would give up all three just to be blissfully happy. But I guess I will just have to be content being divinely beautiful until Heaven. It is a cross I must bear. Tee Hee.

I used to pick rocks in the fields for my dad. I was thinking about that the other day. I know what Fred Flinstone felt like working in the quarry. Rock picking. All day. All alone. Just me and the rocks. Yep -not my idea of life long fulfillment in the carreer department. I used to find some interesting creatures dwelling under those rocks...bugs, worms, etc. I wonder what they were looking for under there?

I think that I am still picking up rocks. Figuratively speaking of course. It goes hand in hand with this longing that I have been pondering today. I am thinking about this Heavenly longing. This homesickness in my heart. I think that we all have it - a groaning in our hearts that cries out for something more. I have been fighting against this for years - looking under every rock for illusive happy feelings - which will not be truly realized until Heaven. Maybe it is better to figure this out now, and stop using up all my energy lifting up rocks. I read once that..."This world is booby-trapped. It's rigged for disappointment. On earth everything falls short of some hope-for ideal. Everything good down here has a tragic brevity and a funny aftertaste to it all. It falls short." (Mark Buchanan) So what keeps us going then? HOPE. It is hope that keeps us going. The hope and hunger for unseen things. The longing for the completeness that we KNOW is there in Christ. It's that hope of eternal TRUE happiness and completeness in Christ that drives us here and keeps us going - sustaining our passion and purpose here on earth. And my question is...how do some live without it? And if we are NOT living without it, and we KNOW about the hope - why are we still looking for happiness under piles of rocks? Just something to think about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an insightful treatise--- and we thought Harv was the preacher in the family!

Shirley said...

Is it true that a life without expectations is a life without disappointment? Because if there are no expectations, we aren't REALLY living, and isn't that...disappointing?

Anonymous said...

how did i get this subscription to "our daily bread?" and just what career WOULD you find fulfilling??? as an aside i have been a fan of fred "flint"stone (the name is connected to the job)but my fav character was probably barney.

Shirley said...

Hey, we all could use a little "Daily Bread" from time to time - don't you think? And maybe THAT is the carreer that I would find fulfilling - writing for the Daily Bread. And by the by...just because you feel a kinship with Fred Flintstone doesn't mean that you spent time rock picking in the quarry. Somehow I remember you getting out of things like that, and they fell to the shoulders of your baby sister. Oh yes...I know who you are "looking for raw truth". Can't get much past me!!