October 07, 2005

A Dial-up Day...

It is a cold and windy day. It is one of those Fall days where you just know that by the end of it, a good majority of the leaves on the trees will be ripped to the ground. One of those days where the world clutches their jackets a little closer, and everything moves a little bit slower. I think my computer is having it's own internal cold Fall morning. It is moving so slow. Not at the warp speed that I so desire. It reminds me a bit of those old Coon dogs...you know, those big brown dogs with the sagging skin and sad eyes. The ones that sit on the back porch, and the only thing that moves is their eyes, and you are not sure if they are alive or dead?! My computer is a big Coon dog today. And it leads me to wonder...is the speed of my mind directly affected by the speed of my computer? Is my hard drive affected by my hard drive? I am leaning towards yes. Maybe when someone asks me how I am doing I will now answer brightly "It's a high speed day" or rather sadly "It's dial up today". (and trust me, I have dial up...it IS sad.) But on the other hand...we are already so affected every day of our lives by technology, that I think maybe I will stick with the traditional answer of "good". We have to keep some things sacred! Technology has already taken over everything else! I wonder if Jesus was around today, if He would have carried a Palm Pilot? Or maybe called the church on His Flip Phone if He was running a little late? Oh I am not knocking modern technology. I boot up just like everyone else. I download my digitals just like the rest of you. I have a blog for crying out loud!! But I was just thinking about how much the modern technoloy of our world has really affected the speed of my life. Sometimes I miss the slower, doing things by hand version of life. It seemed less complicated. More peaceful somehow. Simpler. Little-house-on-the-prairie-ish. Wouldn't it be nice? Yes, but not today. Since I have to clean my house and do a plethera of other things, there is no sitting on the back porch for me today - with a good book in one hand and lemonade in the other. No Coon dog sleeping at my feet. But all is not lost - we can have a happy balance! I think that it will be a light speed day today. Not high speed, not dial up, but light speed. And that sounds "good" to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherley,
Just found out the other day how to get rid of these nasty spam things. Put the word verification in and it really deletes it. I havne't had one spam on mine since i added that on!
Just thought i'd let ya know!!
Enjoy your day. ...!
Mon

Anonymous said...

PS. .. Have a blessed Thanksgiving if I don't chat with you!