September 28, 2005

Living in the past and loving it...

Yesterday I had a delightful blast from the past. In my mailbox was a real, genuine, handwritten letter. HANDWRITTEN. Y'know...with actual ink. I don't see that very much anymore, and I knew that it had to be either from my dear mother, or my Grandma. Grandma it was. I can tell that writing anywhere. What a thrill. So this morning, before I did anything else, I sat down and wrote her back. In ink. And I'll tell you... there was this little bit of excitement stirring up in the pit of my stomach as I did. I can get amused by really small things. I just can't wait to put it in the mail. This handwritten thing is a lost art, and we are missing out people!! And did we even see it coming? All of a sudden it was all about modern technology with email and blogging and text messaging. And when did I lose the callous on my finger that came from excessive pen use? I didn't even notice it go. Y'know, now that I think about it...all this technology was suppossed to make it easier to keep in touch with people. But I think that it has had the opposite effect with me. I think that I am worse now at keeping in touch and communicating with those dear to my heart than when I used to be a letter writer. Something to think about... Well I do realize that I am no longer a 15 year old girl keeping up with camp friends. But with all these things available to us to help us SAVE time...why does it feel like we are more busy and more frantic than ever? I would like to go back to the slower days. So just for today, I am going to live in the past, and love every minute of it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put ;but skip the living in the past bit(except for writing to dear ones).Today is here--make the most of it!